[News & Events index]
Southeast Family YMCA KaBOOM! Playground Build
We are looking for 75 volunteers from our community to assist with the KaBOOM! playground build at the Southeast Family YMCA. Volunteers are needed for both the pre-build day on September 19 and the build day on September 21.
Build Day: September 21, 2019
8 am-9 am: Breakfast available for volunteers
9 am-9:15: Opening ceremony
9:15 am: Work begins
11:30 am-1 pm: Lunch for volunteers (lunch in shifts)
2 pm-2:30 pm: Playground completed and closing ceremony
- Volunteers must be 16 or older. On construction day, activities will include, but not be limited to, assembling pieces of equipment, mixing concrete, moving mulch.
- Construction will take place in sun or rain. Please come prepared for the weather in clothes that are comfortable and can get dirty or stained with paint. Volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes.
- We will have Gaga ball and pickup soccer to keep kids active and busy.
- Breakfast, lunch and plenty of water will be provided. Gloves and other materials will also be provided for the projects that need them.
The YMCA will have our normal operations going on that day as well as youth soccer so we have three offsite locations for parking available.We will have shuttle buses running every few minutes to and from the YMCA beginning at 8 am and ending about 3p m once we are certain everyone is safely back at his or her car. Those additional parking locations are:
- LifePointe Church, 3726 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY 40218
- JCPS Newcomer Academy, 3741 Pulliam Drive, Louisville, KY 40218
- Buechel Park Baptist Church, 2403 Hikes Lane, Louisville, KY 40218
If you are able to bring any of the following tools with you, please email Brian Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org. This will help us know how many tools we have so we do not have to rent more than what is needed. Total quantity needed listed after the tool.
- Shovel - 20
- Metal rake (not leaf) - 20
- Wheelbarrow - 15
- Cordless drill - 20
- Garden hoe - 20