YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
There are an estimated 1 million Kentuckians with prediabetes, 90% of those are unaware that they have the condition.
WHAT IS PREDIABETES?
Prediabetes occurs when blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Risk for developing type 2 diabetes may be reduced or eliminated by weight loss, healthier eating and increased physical activity.
Diabetes Prevention Program classes are commonly held at the Downtown YMCA, Northeast YMCA, Southeast YMCA, Southwest YMCA, Family Health Centers, at worksites and more.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a 12 month, small-group program that helps people who are at high risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk by making simple, healthier lifestyle choices. There are 25 one-hour educational sessions covering topics such as increasing physical activity, eating less fat, reducing stress, problem solving and more. The program has two main goals: to lose 7% of your body weight and build up to 150 minutes of physical activity per week. To encourage physical activity, the program offers a 3 month, community-wide, family membership for those who qualify.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
To participate in the program, you must:
- Have never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 25)*, and
- Be diagnosed with prediabetes via one of the following:
- An A1c value between 5.7 – 6.4 –or- a fasting blood glucose test result between 100-125 mg/ dL
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
*Asian individuals BMI ≥ 23
If you don’t have a blood test result, you must have a qualifying risk score. To find out if you qualify, please complete our Pre-Screening Form and a program staff member will follow up with you.
CHANGE IS TOUGH. WE CAN HELP.
Let us help you make simple, small changes to help reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Want a little more insight? Watch Stacey's testimonial below or read success stories from other program participants.
The base cost is $429 for the 12-month program. Financial assistance and payment plans available to those who qualify.
Kentucky Employee Health Plan (KEHP) and some United Healthcare plans will cover the cost of the program. Please call the number on the back of your insurance card to verify.
Norton Healthcare employees on their medical insurance plan are covered. Norton Healthcare employees not on their medical insurance plan receive a discounted rate.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes, but being overweight is a risk factor.
- People with prediabetes may not have any symptoms.
- An estimated 86 million Americans ages 20 years and older have prediabetes. Experts agree that unless these adults take steps to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes, most of them will develop this incurable disease within 10 years.
- National Institutes of Health research has shown that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduces the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in people over 60.
If you have additional questions, please contact Krista Fanelli, Community Integrated Health Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502.572.2608.