YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
Classes begin throughout the community every 4 to 6 weeks.
Upcoming 2019 Schedule:
- 7/27 – Southwest YMCA - Saturdays 10-11a
- 8/5 – Association Services Office – Downtown – Mondays 10-11a
- 8/13 – Southeast YMCA -Tuesdays 6-7p
- 8/29 – Floyd County YMCA - Thursdays 6-7p
- 9/12 – Middletown YMCA – Thursdays 6-7p
The program is a 12-month, peer support group developed to give you the tools necessary to make small, sustainable lifestyle changes for a healthier you. There are 25 one-hour learning sessions dedicated to topics around eating less fat, participating in physical activity, dealing with stress, getting family support, and building healthy habits. One of the greatest benefits of the program is the accountability and support from your peers and Lifestyle Coach. The program has two main goals: to lose 7% of your body weight and build up to 150 minutes of physical activity per week. To encourage physical activity, the program offers a 3-month, community-wide, family membership for those who qualify.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
To participate in the program, you must:
- Have never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 25)*, and
- Be diagnosed with prediabetes via one of the following:
- An A1c value between 5.7 – 6.4 or
- A fasting blood glucose test result between 100-125 mg/ dL or
- A qualifying risk score (Take the Risk Test)
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
*Asian individuals BMI ≥ 23
HEAR FROM OUR PARTICIPANTS
Let us support you on your health journey! Watch Stacey's story below Watch Stacey's video below or read success stories from other program participants.
Program fees vary based on household income. Financial assistance and payment plans are available to those who qualify.
Kentucky Employee Health Plan (KEHP) and some United Healthcare plans will cover the cost of the program. Please call the number on the back of your insurance card to verify.
Norton Healthcare employees on their medical insurance plan are covered. Norton Healthcare employees not on their medical insurance plan receive a discounted rate.
If you have additional questions, please contact Krista Fanelli, Community Integrated Health Specialist, at email@example.com or call 502.572.2608.