LEADERS IN TRAINING (LIT) PROGRAM
The camp environment provides a unique opportunity for teens, ages 13-15, to build leadership skills, particularly in assisting group leaders with younger campers. The LIT Program operates hand-in-hand with our Great Outdoor Day and Challengers Day Camp (same weekly themes, same hours, same field trips, etc.), providing our young leaders the opportunity to mentor younger kids, participate in daily activities, and help counselors execute programming.
Leaders in Training Day Camp goals are to teach the general skills of leadership that can be used at school, home and within the community- not just at camp! The LITs will always have an adult counselor with them and this Y camp program gives teens the opportunity to build their skills, confidence and capacity for working with people of all ages. LITs can sign up for one week of camp, multiple weeks, or the entire summer.
Leaders who register for 5 or more weeks of camp at the Southeast Family YMCA by April 1 will get a FREE Kentucky Kingdom pass.
SAVE $25 ON SUMMER CAMP WITH PROMO CODE SUMMER
Use promo code SUMMER to save $25 when you register for camp online! Code valid through March 31, 2019.
WAYS TO SAVE ON SUMMER CAMP
FIND IT FAST
- Summer Camp Dates & Hours
- Summer Camp Rates
- Summer Camp Financial Assistance
- Summer Camp Parent Information Video
June 3-August 9; 7:00 am-6:00 pm
Registration Fees: $25 per child through April 30; $45 per child beginning May 1
Deposit: $10 per child per week
Facility Member Weekly Rate: $131 per child
Program Member Weekly Rate: $156 per child
Participants in the LIT program work under the same ground rules as all staff members, such as the following:
- They provide meaningful assistance while they are in camp
- They are well-groomed
- They act in line with YMCA ethics, values, and standards
- They use only appropriate language or gestures
- They do not criticize the camp, campers, or staff openly, but share constructive criticism with staff, and follow the proper chain of command
- They always treat children well
- They will refrain from phone usage during camp hours unless during a designated time.
All LIT Campers must complete an application and be approved before they can register for the program.
- LIT applications must be returned with 2 letters of recommendation by Friday, May 10, 2019. Teachers, coaches, mentors, religious leaders and employers are all excellent choices for letters of recommendation. We do not recommend references from family members.
- Group interviews will be conducted Thursday, May 16, from 6:15-7:15 p.m. at the Southeast Family YMCA.
- Placement decisions will be based on the application, interviews and reference forms. Decisions will be made no later than Monday, May 20, 2019. Those who have been accepted into the program will need to attend the LIT and Parent Meeting on Thursday May 23, 2019 at 6:15 p.m. Space is limited for Leader in Training Program and not everyone who applies will be accepted.
To submit your LIT Application:
Please drop your application at the Southeast Family YMCA during open hours of 5 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 5 a.m. - 9 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday; and 1-7 p.m. Sunday, or mail your application form to:
Southeast Family YMCA
5930 Six Mile Lane
Louisville, KY 40218
Attn: Debbie Hancox
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. We believe all children should have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Financial assistance makes summer day camp available to those kids in need. Download our application or call 502.491.9622 for more information.
SUMMER CAMP PARENT HANDBOOK
The 2019 Parent Handbook will be coming soon. The parent handbook is designed to give a comprehensive understanding of the mission of the Y, policies and procedures associated with Summer Camp, and much more.
YMCA CAMP PIOMINGO OVERNIGHT CAMP
YMCA Camp Piomingo has been providing community, friendship and fun for over 75 years! You'll build relationships and self-confidence while forming other skills too, from horseback riding, rock climbing and swimming to art and drama. We have so many things for you to explore. Learn more by visiting Camp Piomingo's website.
MEMBERSHIP MEANS MORE AT THE Y
You have chosen a fun and unique experience for your child during the summer; why not treat your family to a Y membership? A membership can save you $10-$25 per week on day camp fees, in addition to reduced rates on before-and-after-school child care, youth sports, swim lessons and more! Spend more quality family time being active together at the Y!
WORK AT CAMP
Do you want to work in an environment were you are cared for and respected for being you? Would you like to be a role model and change lives? How about becoming the hero that campers will remember for a lifetime?
What are you waiting for...apply to be a camp counselor today!