BLOOD PRESSURE SELF-MONITORING
1 in 3 American adults have high blood pressure. Only about half of the people with high blood pressure have their condition under control.
Our Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program is designed to help participants reduce and better manage their blood pressure, increase awareness of triggers that elevate blood pressure and enhance knowledge to develop healthier eating habits. Our Healthy Heart Ambassadors will train participants to properly use a self-monitoring blood pressure cuff and emphasize the value of regular self-monitoring. Ambassadors will also provide ongoing personalized support to help participants achieve their program goals.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Participants will work with trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors for the duration of the 4-month program. During this time, participants will be encouraged to:
- Self-measure their blood pressure at least 2 times per month
- Attend 2 personalized consultations per month
- Attend monthly nutrition education seminars..
Participants will record their blood pressure readings using an easy-to-use, self-selected tracking tool. The Y will provide options for participants who need a home blood pressure monitor.
OFFICE HOUR CONSULTATIONS
The Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for personalized, 10-minute consultations to support participants as they continue to better manage their blood pressure. Participants will also receive personalized weekly emails, calls, and/or text messages from an Ambassador.
NUTRITION EDUCATION SEMINARS
Seminars will highlight the importance of practicing healthier eating habits. Seminar topics include:
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
- Reducing sodium intake
- Shopping, cooking and food preparation
- Eating for your heart
DO I QUALIFY TO PARTICIPATE?
To qualify, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Not be at risk for lymphedema
Complete this interest form to talk more with a Healthy Heart Ambassador!
Please contact Sarah Van Heiden at email@example.com or 502.587.2112