YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
There are an estimated 1 million Kentuckians with prediabetes, 90% of those are unaware that they have the condition.
WHAT IS PREDIABETES?
Prediabetes occurs when blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Risk for developing type 2 diabetes may be reduced or eliminated by weight loss, healthier eating and increased physical activity.
Class locations vary across YMCA branches and community centers throughout Louisville and Southern Indiana. Locations we are currently registering participants for are:
- March 27th: Tuesdays, 6-7 pm, Downtown YMCA, 555 S. 2nd St, Louisville, KY, 40202
- March 29th: Thursdays, 6-7 pm, Buechel Park Baptist, 2403 Hikes Lane, Louisville, KY, 40218
- March 31st: Saturdays, 11-12 pm, Southwest YMCA, 2800 Fordhaven Rd, Louisville, KY, 40214
- April 5th : Thursdays, 6-7 pm, Floyd County YMCA, 33 State Street, New Albany, Indiana, 47150
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a 12 month, small-group program that helps people who are at high risk for Type-2 diabetes reduce their risk by making simple, healthier lifestyle choices. There are 25, one-hour, educational sessions covering topics such as increasing physical activity, ways to eat less fat, how to reduce stress, problem solving and more. The program has two main goals: to lose 7% of your body weight and build up to 150 minutes of physical activity. To encourage physical activity, the program offers a 14 week, community-wide, trial membership.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
To participate in the program, you must:
- Have never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 25)*, and
- Be diagnosed with prediabetes via one of the following:
- An A1C value between 5.7 – 6.4 –or- A Fasting Blood Glucose test result between 100-125 mg/ dL
- Previous diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes
*Asian individuals BMI ≥ 22
If you don't have a blood test result, you must have a qualifying risk score.
To find out if you qualify, please complete our Pre-Screening Form and a program staff member will follow up with you.
CHANGE IS TOUGH. WE CAN HELP.
Let us help you make simple, small changes to help reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
Want a little more insight? Read Chelsie's Story.
The base cost is $429 for the 12-month program. Kentucky Employee Health Plan (KEHP) and some United Healthcare plans will cover the cost of the program. Please call the number on the back of your insurance card to verify. Payment plans are available. Scholarships are also available on a case by case basis where insurance is not an option.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes, but being overweight is a risk factor.
- People with prediabetes may not have any symptoms.
- An estimated 86 million Americans ages 20 years and older have prediabetes. Experts agree that unless these adults take steps to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes, most of them will develop this incurable disease within 10 years.
- National Institutes of Health research has shown that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduces the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in people over 60.
If you have additional questions, please contact Krista Burden, Chronic Disease Prevention Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502.572.2608.