We are happy to offer Karate classes to our members free of charge. Our Shoshin Dojo Karate Class is for members ages 10 and up, while our Warriors Class introduces the basics of martial arts to children ages 5-9.
SHOSHIN DOJO KARATE CLASS
Tuesdays & Thursdays; 7:15-8:30 pm
Shoshin Dojo is a program that offers karate-do to members ages 10 years old and up. Karate-do is a Japanese art dedicated to the concepts of self-protection and self-perfection. Participants will develop the mind, body and spirit through practice. Karate-do is a great way to learn how to defend one's self, promote physical strength and endurance and develop a better character.
What's Class Like?
Classes begin and end with Mokuso (seated meditation). This exercise is used to clear the mind for class and the rest of the day.
A warm-up will precede formal training.
- Training includes Kihon (basics, including formal techniques), Kata (prearranged forms designed to teach self-defense techniques) and Kumite (controlled partner drills designed to further develop basics).
- Wear comfortable clothing. There is no need to worry about getting a uniform immediately.
- Be sure to stay properly hydrated as class time is limited and there is little time for breaks.
About The Instructor
Aaron Travis began his training in Budo (martial arts) at the age of seven. He currently holds ranks in Wado Ryu Karate, Chung Do Kwon Tae Kwon Do and Goju Ryu Karate-do. He has also trained in other forms of karate and judo.
WARRIORS KARATE CLASS
Tuesdays; 6:45-7:15 pm
The Warriors Karate Class is a program designed to teach kids ages 5-9 basic martial arts while also having fun!
- Learn hand and foot techniques (punching, blocking and basic kicks)
- Bully-proof your child with basic self-defense tactics
- Help develop coordination, motor skills, focus and balance
- Increase your child's confidence
- Get children into a regular exercise routine at a young age
- Teach children how to follow directions, improve their listening skills and help them differentiate left and right