YMCA LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION
The YMCA Lifeguard Certification course is designed to provide participants the knowledge and skills necessary to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. The course covers safety skills, accident prevention, scanning, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills, first aid in aquatic environments, spinal injury management, open water dangers, legal responsibilities, pool maintenance basics, and information on how to get a job as a lifeguard. In addition to the YMCA Lifeguard certification, participants will also be certified in American Safety and Health Institute’s (ASHI) courses: CPR Pro (BLS) for the Professional Rescuer, Basic First Aid for the Community, and Emergency Oxygen Administration.
The YMCA hires lifeguards year round. We offer competitive pay, a free Community-Wide YMCA membership and the potential for a full refund of the lifeguard course certification fees.
- Candidates must be 16 years of age by the last day of the scheduled course.
- 100% attendance is MANDATORY (non-negotiable). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities.
- The YMCA Lifeguard Instructor reserves the right to refuse certification due to participant’s skill or maturity level.
- An orientation for all students and the parents of any students under the age of 18 will be held the first day of class. This will include both classroom and pool work, so please bring your swimsuit and a towel. Goggles are also permitted.
Candidates must pass the following Physical Competency (conducted on the first day)
- Tread water 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards front crawl
- 250 yard endurance swim: 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, elementary backstroke kick with hands on the chest
- Perform a feet first surface dive and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Sprint approximately 60 feet, perform an arm-over-arm surface dive to retrieve an object, tread water for 1 minute, return object to the bottom of the pool, hoist yourself out of the pool without using ladder or other assistance, and immediately begin CPR compressions for 1 minute or 100 compressions. Stand and listen to directions from the instructor.
UPCOMING 2019 LIFEGUARD TRAINING SESSIONS
Session 1: Sundays; January 20, January 27, February 3; 10 am-7 pm
Orientation: January 15; 6:30 pm-7:30 pm
Session 2: February 16-17; February 23-24; 10 am-7 pm
Orientation: February 12; 6 pm-7 pm
Session 3: Fri/Sat; March 15-16, March 22-23; Fridays: 4:30 pm-10 pm; Saturdays: 10 am-6 pm
Orientation: March 4; 6:30 pm-7:30 pm
Session 4: April 1-4 (Spring Break); 10 am-7 pm
Orientation: March 25; 6:30 pm-7:30 pm
Session 5: July 8-July 11; 10 am-6 pm
Orientation: July 1; 5 pm-6 pm
Session 6: Sundays; October 6, October 13, October 20; 10 am-7 pm
Orientation: October 1; 6 pm-7 pm
Rates: Facility Members: $175; Program Members: $225
UPCOMING 2019 LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION
To be eligible for a re-certification class, you must have a current YMCA lifeguard certification with CPR/FA/Oxygen. Please bring proof of these certifications with you to the re-certification class.
March 17: 10 am-6 pm
April 7: 11 am-6 pm
May 7-8: 4:30 pm-9:30 pm each night
June 8: 10 am-6 pm
December 30: 10 am-6 pm
Please contact the Oldham County Family YMCA at 502.222.9358.