As a leading nonprofit focused on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y strives to provide a safe and nurturing environment where children can learn, grow and thrive. Research shows that 75% of beginner-swimmer drowning injuries happen in the shallow end. So, the swim testing is a great way to, not only improve children's swim skills, but also ensure their safety.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR MY CHILD?
We will be performing mandatory swim tests for all children (members and guests) ages 5-13. All children will be considered red until tested. Each swim test will take less than 5 minutes to complete. An optional swim test is available for children ages 4 and under upon parent request. Children enrolled in swim lessons will automatically be tested during class. Once a test has been completed, children will then be given a breakaway colored necklace at the front desk upon each visit. Necklaces must be returned when leaving the Aquatics Center.
WHAT ARE THE AGE GUIDELINES FOR CHILDREN IN THE AQUATICS CENTER?
- Ages 4 and under: A parent or guardian, 18 years or older, must be in the water within arm’s reach at all times. Proper swim attire is required.
- Ages 5-6: A parent or guardian, 18 years or older, must be on the pool deck at all times.
- Ages 7-9: A parent or guardian, 18 years or older, must be present on YMCA property.
- Ages 10+: Children of this age may use the Aquatics Center without a parent present.
- Ages 14 and up: May use the entire Aquatics Center including lap lanes, warm water pool and water fitness classes.
WHAT ARE THE SWIM TEST LEVEL REQUIREMENTS?
Red Level: This is a beginner swimmer who is unable to swim half of the 25 yard pool with an efficient stroke. At this level, children are asked to limit their pool usage to the shallow end of the Family Fun Pool.
Yellow Level: This is an intermediate swimmer who is able to swim at least half of the 25 yard pool with an efficient stroke. At this level, children may swim anywhere in the Family Fun Pool. At Floyd County only, children may also use the shallow end of the Lap Pool.
Green Level: This is an advanced swimmer who can swim the length of the Lap Pool and tread water for at least 30 seconds. At this level, children may use the entire Family Fun Pool and the instructional portion of the lap pool during open swim times.
For more information, please contact Katy Goodman at email@example.com or at 812.206.7999.