The YMCA is the nation's favorite swim instructor, and we have been teaching people how to swim for 100 years. We believe that swimming is an important life skill that children should have the opportunity to learn early in life.
We know during this time you are concerned about your children remaining healthy and safe while they continue to build their skills in the water. We want you to be confident that safety is our top priority and we will follow all CDC guidelines, along with those from state and local officials to ensure we provide the healthiest environment possible. We continue to evaluate new information, and if for any we must cancel an upcoming program, you will receive a full refund or credit.
Swim lessons are available throughout Louisville and Southern Indiana. Please select your preferred location from the list below to register online.
- Downtown/West Louisville (Register at Republic Bank Foundation YMCA)
- Northeast Jefferson County (Register at Northeast Family YMCA)
- Northeast Jefferson County (Register at YMCA at Norton Commons)
- Oldham County (Register at Oldham County Family YMCA)
- Southeast Jefferson County (Register at Southeast Family YMCA)
- Southwest Jefferson County (Register at Southwest Family YMCA)
- Southern Indiana (Register at Clark County Family YMCA)
- Southern Indiana (Register at Floyd County Family YMCA)
The following locations offer private swim lessons:
- Northeast Family YMCA (register online)
- Oldham County Family YMCA (register online)
- YMCA at Norton Commons (register online)
- Clark County Family YMCA (call 812.283.9622)
- Downtown Family YMCA (call 502.587.6700)
- Floyd County Family YMCA (call 812.206.0688)
- Republic Bank Foundation YMCA (call 502.242.2861)
- Southeast Family YMCA (call 502.491.9622)
- Southwest Family YMCA (call 502.933.9622)
Research shows that formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88% among children ages 1-4 years. Swim lessons provide a wealth of benefits that go far beyond the water. Studies connect many additional benefits including improved motor skills, cognitive development, strength, self-esteem and social confidence.
YMCA swim lessons are available year-round and are designed to ensure safety, success and fun for all participants. Lessons are available for all ages, starting as early as 6 months old. Our lessons focus on essential, life-saving skills and techniques while helping encourage swimming as an excellent tool for lifelong wellness. Whether you are a beginner or just want to improve your skills in the water, we have a class that is right for you!
With a wide variety of schedules available and affordable program rates for all, the Y is always here for you.
WAYS TO SAVE ON SWIM LESSONS
At the Y, one of our top priorities is helping youth practice safety around water. Anyone age 13 and under using YMCA pools will be required to take a swim test. Swim testing is a way to increase our level of vigilance with water safety. Our swim tests and swim lessons also give children a sense of achievement as they move towards the green swim level.
SWIM ACCESS - SAFETY AROUND WATER PROGRAM
The YMCA of Greater Louisville's Swim Access - Safety Around Water Program is designed to provide access to pools and basic swimming skills and water safety for children who do not have access to swim lessons. The curriculum is designed to teach children the basic skills necessary to swim 10 feet back to safety.