YMCA LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION
This course is designed to provide participants the knowledge and skills necessary to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. Participants will be certified in American Safety and Health Institute's (ASHI) courses: Basic Life Support, Basic First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen.
This course presents information on the skills and knowledge lifeguards need in pool, lake, river, surf, and waterpark environments. Participants will learn about safety skills, accident prevention, scanning, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills, first aid in aquatics environments, spinal injury management, open water dangers, legal responsibilities, pool maintenance basics, and getting a job as a lifeguard.
Candidates will be asked to complete a pre-requisite swim test, including several 100s of yards, competency in 6 strokes, treading, and dive retrieval.
- Candidates must be 16 years of age by the last day of the scheduled course.
- 100% attendance is MANDATORY (non-negotiable). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities.
- The YMCA Lifeguard Instructor reserves the right to refuse certification due to participant’s skill or maturity level.
- An orientation for all students and the parents of any students under the age of 18 will be held the first day of class. This will include both classroom and pool work, so please bring your swimsuit and a towel. Goggles are also permitted.
Candidates must pass the following Physical Competency (conducted on the first day)
- Tread water 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards front crawl
- 250 yard endurance swim: 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, elementary backstroke kick with hands on the chest
- Perform a feet first surface dive and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Sprint approximately 60 feet, perform an arm-over-arm surface dive to retrieve an object, tread water for 1 minute, return object to the bottom of the pool, hoist yourself out of the pool without using ladder or other assistance, and immediately begin CPR compressions for 1 minute or 100 compressions. Stand and listen to directions from the instructor.
UPCOMING 2021 SESSIONS
- Red Cross Lifeguard Class: Orientation: April 9, 5 pm-8 pm; Class Dates: April 16, 5 pm-8 pm and April 17-18: 9 am-4 pm
- YMCA Lifeguard Class: Orientation: May 3, 5 pm-7 pm; Class Dates: May 10-May 14, 4 pm-8 pm and May 15, 9 am-5 pm
- YMCA Lifeguard Class: Orientation: May 10, 5 pm-7 pm; Class Dates: May 17-May 21, 4 pm-8 pm and May 22, 9 am-5 pm
What: Lifeguard Certification Training Class
Ages: 16 years and up
Rates: Facility Members: $175; Program Members: $225
Please contact the Northeast Family YMCA at 502.425.1271 for more information.